The Call for the Critic in Residence program is closed now. Thank you very much for your applications!
FOR A RESIDENCY
FOR AN INTERNATIONAL ART CRITIC
Application deadline: August 15, 2014 (per e-mail)
studio das weisse haus, in cooperation with EIKON – International Magazine for Photography and Media Art, is offering a residency for an arts journalist, critic or writer with a focal point in contemporary visual or media arts.
The residency will take place from November 10 until November 30, 2014.
About the Residency:
Since we consider art journalism and criticism as one of the key features in the development of contemporary art, studio das weisse haus launches a new residency program for international arts journalists, critics and writers to support their activities. By means of this program, we aim to strengthen an international exchange of critical thoughts and experiences from diverse national and regional art scenes.
In cooperation with EIKON, we offer the Critic in Residence to publish an article on a subject connected to the resident`s stay in Vienna and his / her impressions from the local art environment. The character, topic and length of the article that will appear in one of the first issues of the EIKON magazine in 2015, will be discussed and defined in accordance with EIKON, studio das weisse haus and the Critic in Residence.
We offer to the Critic in Residence:
– a cover of travel expenses: eur 200,- are assigned to residents coming from a country within Europe, eur 400,- are assigned to residents coming from a country outside of Europe
– a small financial reward for the published article (the amount will depend on the extent of the article)
– a private room in the studio building (with shared bathroom facilities partly located one floor above the private rooms and a shared kitchen). Please take into consideration, that it is not a classical apartment, but rather a living area in a complex of artistic working spaces.
– a working space
– an annual subscription of EIKON magazine
Guided tours with the members of the local art community
Besides the opportunity of publishing an article in the EIKON magazine, we provide the Critic in Residence with an insight into the local institutional environment and we link him / her to the Viennese art scene. Three artists, curators or art journalists will be invited to prepare one day guided tours through local galleries, artists studios, openings and other events and thus introduce the Critic in Residence to the local art community from particular perspectives.
Open Studio Days
The working space of the Critic in Residence is situated in the studio building, where our local artists and Artists in Residence pursue their creative practice. During the critic`s residency, one Open Studio Day will take place. The Critic in Residence is also invited to participate and to present his / her work.
Furthermore, studio das weisse haus will organize studio visits, admittance to various events, exhibition previews, guided tours and suchlike.
The time-period of the residency has been chosen in respect to the cultural program of Vienna: in this time, “eyes on” (the Month of Photography Vienna), and the VIENNA ART WEEK 2014 are taking place.
Please, read carefully through the Terms of Agreement (see below) and note, that while applying for the residency, you automatically agree with the specified conditions.
In case of interest in applying for the residency, please include following documents and information in your application:
– a document comprising following information: full name, date and place of birth, citizenship, address, phone number, e-mail
– a professional CV
– a letter of motivation with a specification of the field (media, topics, issues) of your main interest as an art journalist (max 2000 characters)
– 2 short writing samples on contemporary art issues (not older than 2 years, max 2000 characters each)
– 1 longer writing sample on a contemporary art issue (not older than 2 years, max 5000 characters)
All documents must be submitted in english or german language.
The documents must be submitted as six independent files (in doc or pdf format) in one e-mail. Please, attach all the application documentation directly to the e-mail and do not include any web links.
Maximum attachment size: 5 MB
All applications will be reviewed by a board of experts. The members of the jury are:
– Bettina Brunner (curator and art critic, Frieze)
– Anne Katrin Feßler (art critic, Der Standard)
– Günther Friesinger (media art theorist, curator, artist, leader of the paraflows festival)
– Alexandra Grausam (director of das weisse haus and studio das weisse haus)
– Katharina Brandl (project coordinator of studio das weisse haus)
Application deadline: August 15, 2014 (per e-mail)
The results of the Open Call will be announced until the end of September, 2014.
Please take into consideration, that we favour candidates who haven`t spent a long-term stay in Vienna previously.
Please send your application per e-mail to:
Alexandra Grausam, Klára Stolková
subject: Application for studio das weisse haus – Critic in Residence
For more information please visit:
In case of any qustions please visit the FAQ at our website:
In case you don`t find an answer, please contact:
Alexandra Grausam, Klára Stolková
postal address: Kriehubergasse 24-26, 1050 Vienna, Austria
Fore more information about the EIKON magazine, please visit:
TERMS OF AGREEMENT
– attestation of the health insurance – valid in Austria (for health and accident): At the latest date, the Critic in Residence must provide a proof of insurance (health/accident) to das weisse haus by the time of arrival. Upon failure to do so, das weisse haus will take out an insurance policy for him or her, but the Critic in Residence will be responsible for the insurance charges.
– participation in the Open Studio Days and other events of the studio das weisse haus program
– During the Open Studio Days also former works/publications/projects/etc. may be presented.
– participation in the external program, organized for the Critic in Residence (such as day trips, guided tours, studio visits, etc.)
– Furthermore, the resident must comply with the house rules and regulations. Intentional damages to the building or studio space must be paid for by the resident.
– The resident confirms his/her obligation to provide a report of his/her occupation during his/her grant at the end of his residency before leaving studio das weisse haus. This report ought to be composed according to the requirements of studio das weisse haus. The resident entitles studio das weisse haus to publish all contents of this report.
-studio das weisse haus requests the courtesy from the resident to mention the studio program in his/her biography and/or in the credits to his/her works/publications/projects, that emerged during the residency, be it in terms of an acknowledgement or a logo placement.
– The resident is hereby made aware of the fact that he/she is required to declare his/her income in Austria. studio das weisse haus is in no case liable for any claims resulting from these payments.
– In conclusion, studio das weisse haus explicitly declares that no contract is being signed between the resident and the residence program of das weisse haus and that studio das weisse haus does not acquire any rights to the works by the Critic in Residence.
– studio das weisse haus covers travel expenses of the Critic in Residence: eur 200,- are assigned to residents coming from a country within Europe, eur 400,- are assigned to residents coming from a country outside of Europe.
– A bedroom in a shared living area, a working space (free of charge for the resident), a shared kitchen and shared bathroom facilities are provided by studio das weisse haus. The resident is responsible for keeping his/her own bedroom clean and tidy. When using shared facilities such as toilet, bathroom and kitchen the resident shall keep in mind, that others use these facilities as well and thus try keeping them clean and tidy.
– Please take into consideration, that it is not a classical apartment, but rather a living area in a complex of artistic working spaces. The shared bathroom facilities are partly located one floor above the private rooms.
– Please take into consideration that studio das weisse haus documents (picture and video) the studio and residence program and the stay of the residents, artists, curators for social media, website and press purposes.