The Open Call for a Residency for an International Curator is closed now. Thank you very much for your applications!
OPEN CALL FOR A RESIDENCY
FOR AN INTERNATIONAL CURATOR
Application deadline: July 6, 2014 (per e-mail)
studio das weisse haus, a residency and studio program founded by the art association das weisse haus in 2013 in Vienna, is offering a residency for a young international curator.
The residency is going to take place from September 22 until November 23, 2014.
Focus of the Residency:
The thematic focus of this residency are media arts and interdisciplinary approaches that can be embraced by the notion of “artistic research”. The curators are invited to submit their exhibition projects oriented on this field of artistic practice interconnecting the strategies and methodologies of media arts and science. The intended solo or group exhibition will be realized during the curator`s residency at the exhibition space of das weisse haus (www.dasweissehaus.at), starting on November 11, 2014.
The floorplan of the exhibition space can be found on the website of studio das weisse haus. A part of it will be on disposal for the exhibition of the Curator in Residence: PLAN of the exhibition space
We offer to the Curator in Residence:
– a monthly allowance of eur 1000,- to cover basic living costs (we recommend to the candidates to look for additional funding options)
– a cover of travel expenses: eur 200,- are assigned to residents coming from a country within Europe, eur 400,- are assigned to residents coming from a country outside of Europe
– an exhibition budget (the amount is not strictly specified and is rather limited, since das weisse haus is a non-profit organization the financing of which is secured solely by public funding and sponsoring. The exhibition budget will be approved after agreement with das weisse haus and paid to the curator or participating artists after the submission of relevant invoices and bills.)
– a private room in the studio building (with shared bathroom facilities partly located one floor above the private rooms and a shared kitchen). Please take into consideration, that it is not a classical apartment, but rather a living area in a complex of working spaces.
– a working space
Besides the oportunity of realizing an exhibition project, we provide the Curator in Residence with an insight into the local institutional environment and we link him / her to the Viennese art scene. By means of social events, guided tours and visits, we connect the Curator in Residence with local artists, curators and the cultural community of the City of Vienna.
Open Studio Days:
The working space of the Curator in Residence is situated in the studio building, where our local artists and Artists in Residence pursue their creative practice. Twice a residence period, we organize an Open Studio Day: On these days, also the Curator in Residence is invited to participate and present his / her project.
We organize studio visits, admittance to various events, exhibition previews, guided tours and other events, that link the Curator in Residence to the local art community.
Please, read carefully through the Terms of Agreement (see below) and note, that while applying for the residency, you automatically agree with the specified conditions.
In case of interest in applying for the residency, please include following documents and information in your application:
– a document comprising following information: full name, date and place of birth, citizenship, address, phone number, e-mail
– a professional CV
– a portfolio of realized exhibitions and other projects
– a letter of motivation (max 2000 characters)
– a short abstract of the intended exhibition project (max 1000 characters)
– a detailed description of the exhibition project you intend to develop during your residency stay (incl. space requirement, goals, participating artists) (max 3000 characters) and illustrative photo documentation to the intended exhibition project (72dpi, max. resolution: 1000 pixels)
– samples of your work (optional): videos, catalogues, samples of texts and other publications
The documents must be submitted as six independent files (in doc or pdf format),the samples of work can be attached extra. Please, attach all the application documentation directly to the e-mail and do not include any web links.
Maximum attachment size: 5 MB
All applications will be reviewed by a board of experts. The members of the jury are:
– Bettina Brunner (curator and art criticist, Frieze)
– Günther Friesinger (media art theorist, curator, artist, leader of the paraflows festival)
– Alexandra Grausam (director of das weisse haus and studio das weisse haus)
– Klára Stolková (project coordinator of studio das weisse haus)
Application deadline: July 6, 2014 (per e-mail)
The results of the Open Call will be announced until the end of July, 2014.
Please take into consideration, that we favour curators who haven`t spent a long-term stay in Vienna previously.
Please send your application per e-mail to:
Alexandra Grausam, Klára Stolková
subject: Application for studio das weisse haus – Curator in Residence
For more information please visit:
In case of any qustions please visit the FAQ at our website:
In case you don`t find an answer, please contact:
Alexandra Grausam, Klára Stolková
postal address: Kriehubergasse 24-26, 1050 Vienna, Austria
TERMS OF AGREEMENT
– attestation of the health insurance – valid in Austria (for health and accident): At the latest date, the curator in residence must provide proof of insurance (health/accident) to das weisse haus by the time of arrival. Upon failure to do so, das weisse haus will take out an insurance policy for him or her, but the curator in residence will be responsible for the insurance charges.
– participation in the Open Studio Days and other events of the studio das weisse haus program.
– During the Open Studio Days also former works/publications/projects/etc. may be presented.
– participation in the external program, organized for the Curator in Residence (such as daytrips, guided tours in museums, studio visits, etc.)
– Furthermore, the resident must comply with the house rules and regulations. Intentional damages to the building or studio space must be paid for by the resident and will be deducted from his or her allowance.
– The resident confirms his/her obligation to provide a report of his/her occupation during his/her grant at the end of his residency before leaving studio das weisse haus. This report ought to be composed according to the requirements of studio das weisse haus. The resident entitles studio das weisse haus to publish all contents of this report.
-studio das weisse haus requests the courtesy from the resident to mention the studio program in his/her works/publications/projects, that emerged during the residency, be it in terms of a credit, an acknowledgement or a logo placement.
– The resident is hereby made aware of the fact that he/she is required to declare his/her income in Austria. Beyond the monthly grant of studio das weisse haus itself, studio das weisse haus is in no case liable for any claims resulting from these payments.
– In conclusion, studio das weisse haus explicitly declares that no contract is being signed between the resident and the residence program of das weisse haus and that studio das weisse haus does not acquire any rights to the works by the Curator in Residence.
– studio das weisse haus pays the Curator in Residence a monthly allowance of 500,- Euro to cover basic living costs. This amount will be paid cash at the beginning of each month and a written confirmation of receipt must be signed by the Curator in Residence.
– studio das weisse haus provides a budget of max. 500,- for the production of the exhibition planned by the Curator in Residence. The production costs will be paid to the Curator in Residence after submitting relevant invoices and bills.
– studio das weisse haus covers travel expenses of the Curator in Residence: eur 200,- are assigned to residents coming from a country within Europe, eur 400,- are assigned to residents coming from a country outside of Europe.
– A bedroom in a shared apartment, a studio space in a shared studio (free of charge for the resident), a shared kitchen and shared bathroom facilities are provided by studio das weisse haus. The resident is responsible for keeping his/her own bedroom clean and tidy. When using shared facilities such as toilet, bathroom and kitchen the resident shall keep in mind, that others use these facilities as well and thus try keeping them clean and tidy.
– Please take into consideration that studio das weisse haus documents (picture and video) the studio and residence program and the stay of the residents, artists, curators for social media, website and press purposes.